The role of the sponsor and the responsibilities of the governance groups have far more influence on the success of project investments than the choice of methodology, and money spent on developing governance gives a far greater return than money spent on tools. Sponsors should be focusing on a list of critical factors:
- Sponsor focus – where does it need to be?
- Managing and championing benefits
- Structuring a portfolio of projects
- Stakeholders – identify and engage
- Critical Success Factors
- Using governance for good
- Guardian of the Business Case
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Sponsoring change programmes
So it looks like a project sponsor needs to be a Guardian and a Guide and a Guru, all at the same time! Sponsoring change programmes – it’s not an easy job, but someone’s got to do it!